Can you drink soda while on chemo?
Beverages to avoid (especially for patients during and after chemo): Beverages that are very hot or cold. Beverages containing caffeine (coffee, strong tea, soda, and possibly chocolate). Use caution with milk products.
What drinks taste good during chemo?
Try foods that are less sweet:
- Drink beverages such as diluted fruit juice, milk, buttermilk, lemonade, ginger ale or sports drinks.
- Choose desserts that aren’t as sweet, such as yogurt, custard, pumpkin pie, fruit, baked fruit, fruit with cottage cheese, fruit crumble, plain doughnuts, or graham crackers.
Why can’t chemo patients have ice?
You are being treated for cancer with a chemotherapy medication called Oxaliplatin. This medication has an unusual side effect called “cold dysesthesia”. This means that different parts of your body may be very sensitive to cold – cold drinks, cold food, and cool or cold outdoor temperatures.
What is chemo belly?
Bloating can also be caused by slowed movement of food through the G.I. (gastrointestinal tract or digestive tract) tract due to gastric surgery, chemotherapy (also called chemo belly), radiation therapy or medications. Whatever the cause, the discomfort is universally not welcome.
What are good snacks for chemo patients?
Some quick-and-easy snacks
- Cereal (hot or cold)
- Cheese (aged or hard cheese, cottage cheese, cream cheese, and more)
- Dips made with cheese, beans, yogurt, or peanut butter.
- Fruit (fresh, frozen, canned, dried)
- Gelatin made with juice, milk, or fruit.
- Granola or trail mix.
What foods boost immune system during chemo?
10 Foods to Eat During Chemotherapy
- Oatmeal. Oatmeal provides numerous nutrients that can help your body during chemo. …
- Avocado. …
- Eggs. …
- Broth. …
- Almonds and other nuts. …
- Pumpkin seeds. …
- Broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables. …
- Homemade smoothies.
What is the best toothpaste for chemo patients?
- Biotene® Supersoft Toothbrush.
- Sensodyne® Extra Soft, Gentle Toothbrush.
- Colgate® 360 Sensitive Pro-Relief Toothbrush, Compact Head, Extra Soft.
- Oral-B® Indicator 35 Compact Head Toothbrush, Soft.
What can I eat when nothing tastes good during chemo?
Foods to try if nothing tastes good:
Try fruit popsicles in various flavors. Fruit sorbet or sherbet is also an idea. Experiment with spices and herbs. Instead of adding more salt to food to perk up the taste, try adding dried basil, oregano, or a lemon-pepper seasoning.
Should you cut your hair before chemo?
Opt for a Short Haircut Before Treatment Begins
It’s a lot less shocking to have short clumps of hair fall out in the shower or in your hands, rather than a handful of long strands. Plus, hair tends to come out in uneven patches, and short hair can help to temporarily mask this. Best of all, short hair is in style.
What should you not do after chemo?
Practice safe eating and drinking during cancer treatment.
- DO NOT eat or drink anything that may be undercooked or spoiled.
- Make sure your water is safe.
- Know how to cook and store foods safely.
- Be careful when you eat out. DO NOT eat raw vegetables, meat, fish, or anything else you are not sure is safe.
What are the signs that chemo is working?
How Can We Tell if Chemotherapy is Working?
- A lump or tumor involving some lymph nodes can be felt and measured externally by physical examination.
- Some internal cancer tumors will show up on an x-ray or CT scan and can be measured with a ruler.
- Blood tests, including those that measure organ function can be performed.
What can I take for a headache while on chemo?
These medications may prevent and treat headaches or reduce the pain:
- Over-the-counter pain relievers, like acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin)
- Prescription narcotic pain relievers, like codeine.
- Tricyclic antidepressants.
- Triptan medications, like sumatriptan (Alsuma, Imitrex, Zecuity)